Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ironing

It's 8 degrees and I'm enjoying watching the sun come up from the warmth of my upstairs office. Peter is snoring away in the kitty cup. Tomorrow it will reach 40. Welcome to March!

My teaching week is almost over but work at the college will extend well into the weekend with student performances on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. 'Tis the season. This is a heady time of the semester. There are two and three concerts every night and almost everyone I know seems to be sick. The students are totally stressed and I'm sure they too are wondering how they'll make to Spring Break. No one has enough time to complete work or sit for a while and clean the lint from their belly buttons. I need a good whine and I'm not talking pinot here...I'm tired and I miss seeing my friends. We hardly have time to keep up with them these days. When they ask us what we've you been up to lately I'm surprisingly absent an answer. It's almost feels like a loaded question because I think what folks are really asking is what interesting and exciting and fun things have we been doing. Well here's our life in a nutshell...we work every day, all day and often well into the evening. That's the nature of growing a business. It's also the nature of having more than one full time job. Truth is, we love our jobs and being in the antiques biz and though it sounds like a grind it is really interesting, exciting and fun. Thank heavens! Not too long ago I'd be looking forward to spring break so I could have unlimited time and space to practice. These days since I'm still unable to play I find I'm looking forward to spring break so I can tackle those three large storage bins full of vintage linens that all need soaking and ironing. Having time to clean out and organize the garage is starting to sound really good too (I know this sounds a little weird) and I can hardly wait to have time to be outdoors no matter how cold the temp or brutal the wind. The yoga tape from the massage therapist is still sitting idle on the coffee table in the family room and a stack of antique related newspapers and books is sitting unread as well. I promise I'll get to this stuff, really I will. In the meantime I'm daydreaming of sleeping late, taking walks in the morning and naps in the afternoon, having time to make dinner and of course ironing. All I need is just a little more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment