Monday, March 7, 2011

How nice

Enough already. First it was 8-10", then 9-12" and just before we went to bed they decided it would be 10-16". Who is this "they" anyway?

We've received at least 16 inches of snow at our house and it's still coming down. It is blowing a gale out there too. The college called at 5:48am to let me know I could sleep in. How nice of them. At 4:30am the sheriff declared a state of emergency which means the roads are officially closed. Hmmmm...wonder if Ken has to report for jury duty today.

What to do on a snow day?
Well, personally I'd like to do this all day...but there's a lot that needs doing around here. Instead I think I'll get myself in the kitchen and make a soup. K and I have altered diets in a big way these past couple of months - in theory we've stopped eating wheat, sugar and dairy. Of course a person has to live you know, so that means that we allow our selves some medicinal chocolate every now and then. The good news? We can still have wine!

Here's my latest and most favorite low-carb-non-dairy-gluten-free-soup recipe:

Two pounds ground turkey
One large sweet Maya onion
1/4 cup of diced sweet red pepper
2 pounds of fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup Coconut creamer (I know this sounds dreadful but in fact it doesn't taste one bit like coconut and it's the only non-dairy creamer that doesn't have sugar listed as a main ingredient)
1 tsp "Better Then Boullion" Chicken soup base
1-2 tbs cornstarch

Saute the onions and pepper. Add the turkey. In an eight ounce glass mix the cornstarch with the creamer. Fill the rest of the glass with water and pour it into the meat/veggie mixture. Add more water if you want the soup to be "soupier". After it's thickened place the spinach right on top and give it a good stir. Put the lid on. Should only be a minute or two before it's wilted and ready to eat.

Okay, it's light outside and I think I just saw the snow plow FINALLY make its way down our road. I really should think about trying to find the cars. Soup for breakfast anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment