Sunday, February 27, 2011

Swapshop

True confession time...I haven't yet made time to view the new yoga tape let alone roll around on the floor to it, but I mean to any day now...hoping for better luck tomorrow.

Ken and I spent the day today at one of our favorite auction houses. Nothing beats driving over hill and dale out into the idyllic countryside to be at auction. We were armed with homemade chicken salad, a thermos of coffee and the New York Times. There was no way it wouldn't be fun and I'm happy to report the picking was awfully fine! We came home with a carload of goodies including almost two bins full of great vintage Christmas itemswhich included ornaments, lights, a mini-tree and some adorable plastic santa ornaments from the 1940's. It's nice to be a little ahead of the season for once.
(Pippa is so ready for her close up, don't you agree?)

Other top scores of the day included this very cool eyesight test kit for children. It likely dates from the 1920's and is clearly meant for kids (or adults) who can't read. I also came home with not one but two fabulous ostrich feather boas, and two leather suitcases. Somehow an array of smalls including early stoneware, glass, china and some cool kitchsy kitchen things also made their way into our car.
Okay, I didn't buy this but my immature sense of humor required me to photograph it.
We also got a cool 1950's floor lamp packed into the car along with lots of other booty. Sadly today's lamp doesn't quite measure up to the last one I purchased...This one-of-a-kind beauty only lasted a week or two in the shop.
Secretly I was hoping to just bring it home and forget about selling it...


Week Six of the term begins tomorrow! I'll be swapping some of my students with my doublebass colleague this week and am looking forward to a little change of pace. Should be fun and a nice way to shake things up just a little bit!

4 comments:

  1. Pippa is claiming her true catness as in 'I should be the center of attention unless, of course, I have something better to do!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. She is definitely the diva of the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gawd! That is just an awesome cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll have to come by and meet her!

    ReplyDelete