Friday, February 25, 2011

White Out!

TGIF!

A beautiful, heavy, wet snow is blowing horizontally past my window and if the forecast is correct we'll get almost a foot of new snow by dinnertime. We're well on our way.Time to make some soup and roast a chicken. I am so grateful to be inside all warm and cozy, still in my pjs, with Pippa and Peter devotedly keeping me company on the desk. Ken decided not to brave the roads so he's home keeping me company too! I've got two afternoon appointments...not too sure I'll be keeping them.

I had my first vintage Fiestaware score in years yesterday as I was turning off the lights in the shop to go home. There they were, just sitting in front of god and everyone - how did I not spy them earlier?! Three perfect ivory egg cups for SIXTEEN DOLLARS! I scooped them up so fast I almost tripped myself on the way to the register. Now I know, you're probably thinking I have enough already...
but that would be totally beside the point! It's the thrill of the hunt and the victory of the score that keeps this obsessed collector going! Cool thing was I wasn't the only one in the shop yesterday finding treasures. Sandy went home with the sweetest stick and ball stand and Ken bought a real photo postcard he'd been pining over for weeks. Everyone wins in this situation - we get great stuff and our dealers get a nice sale!! Sweet.

Here are some recent shots of the shop (photos by Ken).



I still have to pinch myself every now and then just to be sure I'm not dreaming!

In the "I have no excuse" category I am proud to report that I am the owner of a new yoga dvd (thanks to my massage therapist who's been nagging me about doing more yoga for weeks). I can take no credit for its acquisition really. He dubbed me a copy and handed it to me as I left on Tuesday. I'll start today (I promise). Whether it's getting back into shape physically or musically, it all sucks especially in the early stages. I wish I could report that I'm further along in terms of being able to play again but the pain in my neck still persists when I hold the viola and this time around I refuse to play through it. I'll see the head of PT up at the college next week for another consult and a go at the machine that shows you hidden sources of tension.

Ken and I have been going through a stack of "inspiration" mags lately - Flea Market Style, Country Living, Flea Market Garden, Cottages and Bungalows and Dwell. Every other page is turned down in most of them. We're plum full of ideas for our booth at FOUND and for our house. Winter always seems to stimulate the flow of these kind of ideas...I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we can't really get out there and do any of them right now? Hmmmm... We've identified two projects that are on our "definite" list for this summer - winterize the garage and open up the wall between the living room and the family room. Now I know that two items don't really make a proper list, so I'll offer up what's on my own personal wish list of projects for the summer:

1. Winterize the garage
AND add another bay so we'll have room for the cars AND a place to work AND put a bathroom out there while we're at it so that when we eventually put a second story on the garage we're good to go.

2. Take the wall out between the living room and the dining room and replace all the carpet with hardwood floors.

3. Dig a new raised bed vegetable garden and fence it in with architectural salvage pieces.

4. Add on 10 or 12 feet to the back of the house and while we're at it renovate the kitchen
AND downstairs bath AND the family room AND build a new deck (with a pergola of course!)

5. Finish landscaping the front yard and repaint the house.


Okay I know it's starting to look like I'll need a year-long summer and a super increase in my salary...wonder if it's too early to put in a request for those things now.

No comments:

Post a Comment