Saturday, December 31, 2011

Adios

Time to say goodbye to 2011. To think about what went well and what could be better. Better settle in, this could take a while...

At our house this year we're welcoming the new year with a combination of contemplative and convivial rituals. A humble meal, music and the company of our dear friends. At midnight, we can count on Lucia to get up and open the back door to usher out the old year. She'll then go to the front door to welcome in the new. I love this simple ritual. We can also count on Phil and Terry to share a song or two, and next year at this time I plan to play along.

On New Year's Day I'll prepare a meal that resembles my grandma's traditional fare designed to bring good luck and prosperity our way. We'll have greens (symbolizing paper money), pigeon peas (symbolizing coins) and ham hocks. I've heard that pigs symbolize progress, but I'm guessing that ham was a part of grandma's meal because what proper southern cook wouldn't include some healthy amount of fat-laden salty pork product in their important celebrations!

And now for the dreaded resolutions...I hate New Year's resolutions with a passion. I'll just put that right out there here and now. I've never had any luck sticking to them and they just serve to lower my self-confidence and inflame any guilt and self-loathing I've harbored over the years. But don't get me wrong, I do love a good fresh start and a chance to formally wipe the slate clean!

I prefer to honor the past by formally saying goodbye to it. For me this is a much more appealing activity than thinking of all the ways I fell short and turning them into resolutions. This year as in years past we'll write down what we'd like to cast off and then put it straight into the fire and let it all go. Done. Gone. Buh bye. This symbolic releasing is so satisfying. Being a devoted list-maker at heart though, I can't resist revealing some rambling thoughts about what I'd like to welcome in for 2012...

  • When I show up, I'd like to pay attention more and not to be so bloody attached to the outcome

  • I'd love to invest far more money in experiences as opposed to material things

Other key words for the year...

Persist
Take action
Follow through

Unplug
Read more books
Pet the cats

Sit in silence
Elevate the ordinary
Tell the truth and above all...
Remember to relax, because the truth is time is on my side

Welcome 2012. I think I'm ready for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment