Sunday, January 2, 2011

Thawing

It's a little early for a January thaw but I'll take it! Temps close to the 50 degree mark have resulted in a significant change in the landscape around here.

Most of the snow has melted,
the creeks are running again, and the smell of wet dirt is in the air.

I've learned not to get fooled by the delicious odor of wet earth. It's not time to plant, not yet. It'll be at least another month before I set any seed indoors and in the meantime I have a foot tall stack of garden catalogs to get through. I'm determined to make a go at seed starting again. A few years back I saw all my precious little green sprouts become a super healthy all-you-can-eat-buffet for the various critters that occasionally inhabit our basement (chipmunks and mice mostly). This year I'll leave the tops on the flats until they're ready to be brought upstairs and will hope that the critters don't follow...

Here are some sights from our early morning walk today.

Pippa thinking she should've been allowed to tag along...

Poppies still green and looking pretty good all things considered.

Puddles with the paper thin layers of ice.


Brambles laced with dewdrops.

Hitch-hiker covered with moss and burning bush berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment