Friday, October 8, 2010

Time and Space

There is precious little free time around our neck of the woods these days, but somehow I managed to find time to squeak in a little walk this morning. I even managed to snap a few photos.

The sky is so blue it almost defies description.
The leaves and the grass are far more verdant and lush than the photos let on.
The sun is warm and the air is cool.
I can smell the faint scent of wood stove smoke on the breeze.
Tonight widespread frost is predicted. My timing is fortunate.
Tomorrow many of the late summer blooms will be history.

We had a fair amount of wind and rain earlier this
week and it knocked off many of the colorful leaves prematurely. Still the show is totally inspiring and I couldn't venture into winter
without experiencing this transition.


This small tree toppled over in the last wind and rain storm.
At least we think that's when it happened. We're not quite sure...
It missed our little barn by inches.

I am grateful for the late bloomers who are just now starting to turn.
The woods are incredibly noisy today.From the sound of the chipmunk chorus I am
most definitely an unwelcome presence.


The 150 year old sugar maple that anchors our house
is putting on quite a show this year.
The trunk is fully covered with lichen - it is not long for this world.
It is the end of wild grape season,and this year's crop was especially tasty (yep mom, I ate some).

I did not however try these large mushrooms...(though I was tempted).

The cows are soaking in the sun

and the trees almost seem to be enjoying the breeze.


Seems will may have roses in mid-October,

along with a few more morning glories

and some lovely late blooming monkshood.
I can imagine no place on earth I'd rather be.

1 comment: