Thursday, October 14, 2010

On the Road Again

Back in the day I used to love going on tour even if the list of musical luminaries I traveled with were just a little bit past their prime. Maybe you remember some of these folks...Henry Mancini, Ferrante and Teicher, Librace, Anne Murray and the Lettermen. I'm sure the main reason we were asked to play these gigs was because as poor starving students we were willing to work for less than union wages and we didn't balk at the thought of sharing a two-person room with two or three or four other people. Oh those were the days...the "we need to pay our rent so we'll take almost any gig" days...the days of 10 cent Mac n' cheese in a box, ramen noodles $1 a case and chicken pot pies two for a dollar. Yikes.

The reason I'm waxing poetic about my touring days is because I'm sitting on a greyhound bus (equipped with wi-fi no less) at this very moment on my way to Washington, D.C. to play the Bach B minor Mass with
the college choir and a chamber orchestra made of students and faculty.
We are most definitely on the choir tour!



First stop, Strathmore Music Center in Bethesda, MD.
The hall sounds as beautiful as it looks.

Now that rehearsals, packing and general scurrying are over and we are actually on our way, I think I'll actually be able to relax a bit. The best news...we get our own rooms now and they have room service. Ahhhh. I'm happy to be here now. Guess I paid my dues.

No comments:

Post a Comment