Sunday, September 26, 2010

Barton

We headed off into the wilds of south eastern Tioga County yesterday to attend an on-site country auction in Barton. We left at the screech of dawn in an effort to squeeze in an estate sale on the way. If you look closely you'll see that the moon was out when we first set off.
Ken definitely has his priorities straight when it comes to early morning jaunts!
The auction took place on a lovely old farm. The house looked to be about 1840's. Many of the outbuildings had seen better days.The property was full of wonderful old trees - tall cottonwoods, sugar maples, apple and pear.

As usual there was much to see and buy,and yes these lovelies came home with us!

Sadly I was outbid for these fabulous glasses.
I came to the firm conclusion that the only thing better than an auctioneer
with a big old trucker hat,
is two of them.
There were two auctions going on at once.
One under the tent and another out in the field.
I got a big kick out of watching the help. It seemed items were hand picked for the maximum embarrassment of each runner. Here the young Amish fellow is showing fashionable 1950's hats and glasses.
This fellow got stuck with the fancy ladies beaded bags. He held them up like they had some awful contagious disease. It was too funny! Sadly the photo I took of them with the ladies bloomers, corsets and girdles came out a little blurry. I sure it was because I was in convulsions from laughing so hard!

At the end of the day our car was packed and much of it has already made its way to FOUND!

Ken and I have been talking about getting a truck or a van to go to auction.
Perhaps we should just consider making it ourselves...

3 comments:

  1. Oh that looks like it was a fun trip. I gotta do some auctions!
    Check my blog to see what Sean and I did last week. www.stickwithmary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing reminds me of my daughter's -- you have the ability to put personality and fun in words. Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete