Sunday, September 5, 2010

In the Air


I may be just a little biased, but I think you've never really eaten an apple until you've eaten it fresh from the tree, picked on a glorious fall day in an upstate NY orchard.

It's just that simple!

Today is the first day off I've had in weeks and I hardly know what to do with myself.
Seems like the perfect time to go apple picking with some of my sweet students!

Fall is in the air. You can feel it, smell it, see it.

The sun is warm but the air is cool.
The sky was incredibly dramatic but it never actually rained!
Things are hoppin' just down the road at Littletree Orchard.
Their lily pond is stunning this time of year.
Adam thinks it looks like a field of shower heads.I have to agree.

They are pressing fresh cider and making homemade HOT cider donuts.
I could've eaten this entire bowl, all by myself...no sharing.

They have kittens. Cute tiny snuggly ones.They are FREE.
I think I could totally drive back there now, pick one out and
have it all settled in here at home by the time Ken is home from the shop.....hmmmmm.


The orchard is bursting at the seams with old favorites

and varieties I've never heard of.

They also have asian pears and more basil than they know what to do with!

Why Mike seems to have found a new variety out in the field...We'll call it the Meckler!

It was a perfect morning. I realized I've not been outside in weeks, no make that months. We've been either inside renovating the shop or when not there, we're at auction. Definitely time to reset the priorities. I can't let the fall season pass me by.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you told a story in this post. It was a lovely morning! I especially enjoyed the photos of the apple-name signs. It makes a nice collection or series. Please email me the photos of Katie and I on the swings and Mike holding me as an apple. : )

    ReplyDelete