Thursday, June 4, 2015

Smarter

It's two and a half weeks since my surgery and though I didn't believe K when he told me this, things have definitely gotten better. Normal has been redefined and routines have been re-routed. I am self-sufficient at home and am almost completely pain-free on days when I don't over do it. 

I am smarter too, and here's what I've learned from living life on one foot:
  • NWB does not mean No Way Baby. It means non-weight bearing, as in not even touching the ground, EVER. 
  • Moving the bed downstairs remains the best decision we ever made, next to getting a bedside potty (sorry, TMI).
  • Bed wedges are over-priced and over-rated.
  • Before getting help moving from one place to another, be sure you've made eye contact with the person helping you. 
  • Fear of falling never goes away. 
  • Falling directly on the cast hurts like hell, but doesn’t seem to be the end of the world (at least to the doctors). 
  •  My incision will look “beautiful” to every single nurse who looks at it. No matter how bruised, swollen and angry red it is, they all think it is a thing of beauty to behold. 
  • It will get better. It does get better and sitting all day every day is not the worst thing to happen to a person.
If you are fortunate as I am, you will see a side of your spouse that makes you fall in love with them over and over again, each and every day. There is no end to K's kindness, patience, wisdom, strength and devotion. I do not know how I will ever repay such kindness in my lifetime, but I aim to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment