Sunday, April 18, 2010

Two Dollars a Foot

We awoke in a post-auction stupor which was made worse by more cold temps, wind, rain and a forecast with the "S" word in it. It took two cups of coffee before we could pry ourselves off of the couch. Though we were still a little foggy we decided to check out the first flea market of the season at the antique center. The optimistic (or just plain crazy) folks who run the place decided to try opening the market one month earlier than usual this year and we were pretty certain the cold gray weather would keep the crowds away. Boy were we wrong. Turns out the place was just crawling with devoted hardy souls since early morning. The crowd inside was heavy too, though we were a little sad to see that not much had gone away in our booth.

After catching up with Sandy outside and delivering our thank you gift to her for trucking our stuff home from yesterday's auction, we started to make our way around to see the vendors. Too bad we'd just eaten, there was Thai food and it was looking good (next time we'll come hungry). There were the usual kinds of things - furniture, dishes, guy stuff (mostly unidentified rusted stuff) and then there was this guy at the end of the lawn who looked a little like he was selling and possibly even living out of his car. I was just about to walk away from his table when I saw this

Yes, you guessed it, it's a mate to my giant plaster hand!
Let me just say I was way more excited than I should've been and may have even embarrassed Ken who seemed to stepped a wee bit further away from me the more excited I got. And the price - only $2. I definitely would've paid $10! I immediately went over to Sandy to show off my treasure. It was agreed my foot would make a smashing coat hook and even a great door stop. It was even suggested I continue my search for plaster body parts until I'd found enough to make myself my very own statue of David (though I'm not sure all the parts of the male human form are available in plaster).

We finally saw some sunshine in the late afternoon which meant a little garden time for me. The trillium are in bloom in the woods these days.
On a lark we decided to take a quick drive to see a house for sale that sounded interesting. It's an old farm house on two or three acres and it has a lovely front porch and a barn. Though we're not actively looking to move, we've taken to regularly looking at listings just in case we find something with enough room and outbuildings for our growing antiques business. The listing we saw today has a great barn but it sits right on a main road and is a little too noisy for us. Before heading home we pulled over to drool over two incredible Greek revival homes.
When our house grows up it will look like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment