Thursday, October 9, 2014

Enough is Enough

When is enough, enough? How do you do your job well and get it done in less time? Are these two things mutually exclusive? These were questions I had when I was firmly ensconced in the Ivory Tower and questions which remain now that I'm living the dream of working for myself.

When is enough, enough? This was the topic of two separate conversations I had with two different friends yesterday. Both women, both single, both trying to do it all and still preserve sanity and good health by the end of the day. None of us has the solution, but one of us is on to something. 

All three of us are "doers". When we something that needs doing, we do it. Who cares if it's "not our job" or whether there's actually time for it or if it's even on the grand to-do list for the day. All three of us finish our days with numerous tasks, projects and jobs left undone and yet only one of us is beginning to figure it out. I wish it were me.

Her answer? Choosing effectiveness over efficiency. Tah-dah! Crate of light bulbs going off over my head. I get it. I really do.
Now, can this high mileage human unravel her old way of doing things and learn a new trick or two?

No comments:

Post a Comment