Friday, January 23, 2015

Good advice

I love Ira Glass. Love his voice on the radio, love his writing, love to hear his stories. So rich and so eloquent. 

Here's a video of Ira's words on the subject of perseverance. It's about the the fine art of not giving up and how important it is to push through and close the gap between your own good taste and your abilities.

Yesterday Amy Dickinson was in the shop. THE Amy Dickinson, as in Ask Amy the advice columnist. She lives in town. She's lovely, loves antiques, loves FOUND and ok, I'll admit it...I get a little star struck when she's in the shop. So after letting her browse a while, I told her how much I loved her book. That her words were inspiring to me because I too had a circle of powerful women in my family that made me the person I am today. That I long to tell their story. That I've been writing about them for years but have never shared those stories. And this is what she said:  
Sharing your writing is one of the greatest gifts of generosity you'll ever give. 
Share your work. Put it our there. Be brave. Just do it. 
 
I'm still thinking how I'll do this, but at least I'm giving thought to the idea. I know that gap between my own good taste and my writing abilities is vast. I think I'll go write for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment