Tuesday, January 20, 2015

F-Worthy

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F--k by Mark Manson, blogger, author, thinker, life enthusiast. It's my recommended reading for the week, F-bombs and all. In fact, for full impact I recommend you read it out loud and with feeling, especially if you find yourself, as I often do, feeling like your perspective is lost when dealing with difficult people and situations.

I wish I had a dollar for all the times I said I wished I were able to care less and now here it is, simple instructions for doing just that. Even if you don't intend to read the article or aren't interested, click on the clink to see the image on the post. It's priceless and if I were able to cop it for this post I would've in a heartbeat. Instead, here's an excerpt from the article...

The point is, most of us struggle throughout our lives by giving too many f--ks in situations where f--ks do not deserve to be given. We give a f--k about the rude gas station attendant who gave us too many nickels. We give a f--k when a show we liked was canceled on TV. We give a f--k when our coworkers don’t bother asking us about our awesome weekend. We give a f--k when it’s raining and we were supposed to go jogging in the morning.

F--ks given everywhere. Strewn about like seeds in mother-f--king spring time. And for what purpose? For what reason? Convenience? Easy comforts? A pat on the f--king back maybe?
This is the problem, my friend.

Because when we give too many f--ks, when we choose to give a f--k about everything, then we feel as though we are perpetually entitled to feel comfortable and happy at all times, that’s when life f--ks us.

Indeed, the ability to reserve our f--ks for only the most f--kworthy of situations would surely make life a hell of a lot easier. Failure would be less terrifying. Rejection less painful. Unpleasant necessities more pleasant and the unsavory shit sandwiches a little bit more savory. I mean, if we could only give a few less f--ks, or a few more consciously-directed f--ks, then life would feel pretty f--king easy.

What we don’t realize is that there is a fine art of non-f--k-giving. 

OK. I get it now.  Thank you, Mark. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment