Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Enough Already

This morning the unmanned rocket ship Rosetta landed on a comet orbiting the sun. Its surface is reportedly all craggy, full of cliffs and not exactly what you'd call landing-friendly. I'd like to sit in awe of this event for a moment. Whoa. 

 My own victories are nothing in comparison to landing on a speeding comet, but I have managed to make changes in the last couple of years that have resulted in a deeper, more sustained sense of peace and happiness. Quitting a job I hated, cutting out sugar all together and turning off the cable are a few of things that made a difference.

So why do I find myself in the thick of a miserable patch right now? It's easy to chalk it up to hormones but I know that's not it.

It's time to quit complaining. 
I don't deal with stress by shopping or binge drinking. Instead I go on a complaint bender, and lately it's gotten the better of me. Venting only feels good for a minute or two. I think it's time to decide it's just not worth it anymore. 

It's time to stop waiting for something to happen.
I'll be the first to admit that I have a tendency to make my own happiness contingent on some big life altering event  - when I've lost the weight, when we've built the barn, when K retires. Enough already.

It's time to quit giving in to negative thoughts,  jumping to conclusions and being a victim.
Oy veh. This is a biggy. I'll need more than luck to deal with this. Mindfulness practice is about the only thing that makes a dent in this toxic cycle.

It's time to get over caring what other folks think. I mean come on already...
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss

 

No comments:

Post a Comment