Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Job Security

After years in academia I found myself holding fast to the belief that I was protected in my job. What with tenure and our all-powerful, father-figure dean to look after us, what could possibly go wrong, right? Deep down I knew this wasn't true, but some how any sense of security, even if it was false, was better than none. So, on went the blinders and away I went.

It's all about boundaries. I know that. 

But it's not just about how much to let in through those boundaries. It's also about how much to give away. I mean, come on. How many times can I get caught in the trap of thinking everyone is my friend. I'm fifty seven years old for god's sake! I see a smiling face, hear a comforting phrase or two and before I know it, I've said too much. Then to my complete amazement, every detail breathed in confidence, is repeated as soon as I've left the room and before I know it, there it is again being repeated right back at me. It's amazing. Truly.

So today I'm re-thinking the definition of CAUTION. 

The dictionary makes it seem so benign: CAUTION is the care taken to avoid danger or mistakes. It is a careful attitude or way of behaving. 

Is caution an aspect of good old fashioned common sense? Can it be an offensive maneuver rather than a defensive stance? Can caution be a boundary that looks more like a curb and less like a wall between me and the rest of the world? Can it act more like a fence with a gate that is opened and closed when the time is right?
 
I haven't a clue, but I aim to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment