Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Totally Natural

It was minus 17 last night, just like the Farmer's Almanac said it would be. How do they know such things? Ken and I are both working from home today. I moved all my appointments to tomorrow so I wouldn't have to leave the house and he's happily telecommuting from his upstairs office. I can't decide if we are getting smarter or wimpier in our old age. Today I'm going with smarter.

The "Spring" semester began yesterday and I celebrated by having my hair cut smack dab in the middle of the day. It felt just so good. I stopped having my hair dyed three months ago. Another part of the shedding process I think (like giving away my "teacher" clothes). If my hair continues to grow at its current rate I'll be the totally natural me by June. Sure hope I make it. Yesterday I caught a sideways glimpse of myself in the window at Gimme! Coffee and swore my mother was in there looking back at me. Not sure, but I think she was scowling...those highlights or lowlights are starting to sound like a good idea...

Another use for Duxelles to report! Actually two. Cooked with brown rice is melts away and makes the flavor oh so rich. Yum. I could eat it at every meal. Mixed into turkey meatloaf it's divine and keeps the meat from getting too dry. Here's the recipe as I remember it:

Turkey Meatloaf with Duxelles
3 or 4 pounds of ground turkey
2 Tbs of Butter
Box of slice button mushrooms
2 or 3 shallots
1/4 cup Ketchup
1 or 2 Tbs Horseradish (or horseradish sauce)
One roasted red pepper chopped (I use the ones from a jar)
1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan cheese
2 Eggs beaten
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp Herbes de Provence

Process the mushrooms and shallots in the food processor 'til minced and cook down in the butter. Add salt and pepper to taste and spread on a plate to cool off in the frig.
 
In a big bowl mix all the other ingredients together and form into two rustic loaves on a half sheet baking pan. Cook for about 30-40 minutes at 375.


Cue comfort. Cue cozy.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment