Sunday, May 9, 2010

All in a Day's Work

Happy Mother's Day!
Ken's been working hard at teaching the kitties how to make waffles so they can bring me breakfast in bed on Mother's Day but Franklin just can't seem to figure out the toaster oven, Peter can't reach the microwave and Lilie thinks that licking the butter is an essential part of the recipe. Oh well, maybe next year....

Two auctions worth of goodies managed to pile up again, so for the last two days we've worked hard to excavate the dining room and locate our dining table. I'm plumb tuckered out but the good news is we can now eat at the table without having to move a four foot high stack of dusty boxes! I did a lot of cleaning today but surely one of the more memorable parts of my day had to be the hour I spent scrubbing 75 year old cow poop off of a sweet little yellow milking stool. Crazy or devoted - you be the judge.

Franklin helped me by being sure that the quilts all had the proper amount of cat hair on them before they were moved to the booth.

We had an especially fun day at auction on Friday where
there was quite an array of interesting and delicious goodies!

Out in the "projects" they had five of the coolest old metal shopping carts I'd ever seen. I was excited about using them for displaying linens and the truth is I really had my heart set on getting them. Sadly I was beaten out by someone with deep pockets who was willing to pay $55 a piece and rumor has it he trucks all of his merch down to Texas where he sells it for big bucks. I was ready to go up to $25 a piece and was pretty sure I'd win them...big bummer.

We did come home with some lovely things though
and much of it is already in the booth.



The white kitchen cupboard was out in the barn in the "projects" area of the auction. This is where they stash the pieces that need either refinishing, regluing or simply need to be chucked in the woodstove. We were glad to get it and to be able to put it in our booth without any major work. Just a little goo-gone, 409 cleaner and a little elbow grease and it was ready to go. Our dear friend Sandy hauled it all the way back to Ithaca and this afternoon Ken and I wheeled it out on the floor and straight into our booth. It's a genuine "Hoosier" cabinet and believe me, if we had room in our kitchen this piece would be there right now!

We're still ahead of the game in the bloom department.
The rhododendron is a good two weeks ahead of schedule.

The plant is about to take over the front porch and
in a few weeks the entire thing will be covered in fuschia blooms!We're well into the "This is why we live here" season these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment