Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Treasure

Back in January, after thinking about my Aunt Kathy for some time I looked her up on Facebook, found her (recognizing her wedding photo which hung in my childhood home) and sent her a friend request. I hadn't seen her in at least forty years and boom, just like that, we were reconnected.

My most vivid memories my aunt are of her visiting during summer vacation. She was glamorous, full of life and fun, and stunningly beautiful. I was certain she was a princess. 

Yesterday a box arrived in the mail from her. It was full of family photos. Images of my mom and her brother when they were little. Photos of my mom and dad before they were married. Photos of my paternal grandparents and maternal great grandparents. 

Some day I'll tell the story of my mother's childhood. A tale which includes unspeakable sadness of almost every kind. But that is for another day. Today is for focusing on the beauty and innocence of her precious young face, the unbounded joy in her eyes as a toddler and the fact that in the end, her story had a such a sweet and happy ending. 

Bless you, mom. I will never cease to be inspired by your courage, your dignity, your strength.

Toddler

First trike

With her beloved brother, Bobby

 Ready for school

 As a young teenager

 A glamorous career gal in NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment