Friday, July 3, 2015

Gladiator

The cast is off and in its place is a walking boot. 

I gotta say, I am totally rocking the one-legged Storm Trooper look these days and I'm sure I could compete admirably as a gladiator if I only had another one to match.

With the boot comes change and with change comes set back...or so it seems.

The boot weighs a bloody ton. It gouges into my shin when I'm on the knee scooter. The toe end extends so far out from the end that I'm not sure where I end and it begins. It rubs on the damn incision and makes it bleed. Enough with the pain, already!

Still, I am not dismayed. NO FREAKING WAY. Not for one minute. Not after six long weeks of figuring out how to live a meaningful life on one foot!

My solution? I dispensed with the giant cumbersome shin plate, threw it in the corner, strapped myself back in and promptly set out for the front porch with the walker. As soon as I sat down I began to sob uncontrollably. It was the first time I'd been out on the porch since the evening of May 17th. It's been a long time since I knew such joy. 

With change comes PROGRESS. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment