Friday, August 22, 2014

Moving On

It is move-in day at Cornell today and suddenly it feels like we've gone from this

to this in a matter of minutes.
Our sweet corner of the world is now swollen with out of state license plates, poorly mannered drivers and all of them needing groceries at once. I would rather eat dirt than venture over to Wegmans today. It'll be "Back of the Cupboard Soup" for us tonight!

Yesterday was the faculty "retreat" for the School of Music and in only a few days classes begin over in the Ivory Tower. I drove past campus today for the first time in ages and sure enough, as if on cue, I began to feel more than a little queasy. I wonder how long it will take for those feelings to wear off. The drama, the tension and frustration. The "I don't want to be here but I have to" nonsense, the "Please go away and come back when you're prepared" speeches and the ever popular lesson disclaimer "I didn't have time to practice because it was pledge week, I had a paper to write, my cousin got married and I have this hideous pain in my shoulders that only seems to crop up in my lessons". Oh academia, how grateful I am that our parting was swift and mostly amicable. It wasn't you, it was me and now it's time to move on. I think I'll go paint something now...

No comments:

Post a Comment