Saturday, July 3, 2010

Inspiration

Today was one of those glorious Finger Lakes summer days - clear blue skies, temps in the mid-80's, light breeze. Just amazing. Wish I could say I spent it outside in the garden but alas, we spent the day gearing up for our weekly online auction. We did manage a lovely dinner on the deck although we found we were smack in the midst of a hummingbird turf war over the feeder. It is quite the sight (and sound!) and I even managed to score a couple of photos of them in action.Have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE my new camera?

It's July so there's no avoiding a little heat and humidity. I like the part of the forecast where it says
"Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer than today".
Geeze, rub it in why don't you.

Lillie says the heat is best dealt with by rolling around in fresh catnip followed by a touch of cream on a plate (a pink plate preferably). She swears it takes the edge off.

We spent the day at auction on Friday. As always there was a huge variety of goodies to buy both for consumption and resale, but this time there were many items I'd never seen before.

There was taxidermy in many forms.
Masquerading as a pursea lampand a scarf (of sorts). I'd get mugged for sure if I wore this around town.

The piece de resistance was this fine specimen.Now I know you're wondering who would buy this sort of thing. Well, someone actually paid good money for it and honestly if we'd had the extra cash lying around I think I'd even consider buying to put over the mantle (for special occasions only though). Great conversation piece...

I'm sure you can imagine the fun the auction crew had when this came up on the block!
The aftermath, aka Junque in the Trunque
We made some nice purchases and today I
spent a few hours cleaning some of it. This great old 1950's spun aluminum kitchen set was full of dried spices and since it had just been removed from someone's kitchen it was totally covered in grease.

Good thing some of the larger canisters weren't full. Yikes. Of course after I shined it all up I thought I should get to keep it. Some how Ken never agrees with this logic.

I also made some great accessory purchases on Friday which led me to consider changing my look all together. What do you think?Okay I know, maybe not...

I love this little number, but doesn't fit.
I think I just got the vapors.

Don't you think the pheasant feathers match my hair?
For monthly faculty meetings? They always need a little infusion of humor

Why I even thought we should get us some new wheels. Get a load of this baby blue 1953 Nash Rambler! I think we look might sporty. Wonder if it runs...

No comments:

Post a Comment