Monday, August 29, 2011

Nom, Nom, Nom

Okay folks it's recipe time!

Ken and I are trying our best to eat low-carb these days and when I need comfort food my go-to dish is baked cauliflower with cheese. Now, I know some of you just turned up your noses in disgust, but let me tell you, I've fooled some folks who thought this was a potato dish the entire time and I never told 'em the truth!

First get yourself a lovely head of fresh cauliflower. Don't bother for a minute with the frozen stuff. It's just mushy and tasteless. In fact, live a little and go for organic!

Cut the florets off and boil them in a little salted water until they're just tender - ten minutes or so. Drain. Puree the cooked cauliflower along with about a quarter cup of grated pepper jack cheese and a handful of smoked gouda (this is what I had in the frig - truthfully just about any cheese will work). Add in about three tablespoons of butter (I never said it was low fat...). Add salt and pepper to taste and top with a little more cheese. Tonight I used grated asagio. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for a few minutes and dive right in.

Today was my first day back at school for the fall semester. Classes officially start on Wednesday but in the meantime there are auditions to hear, schedules to make, recitals to plan and syllabi to create. I've got to finish the summer reading too. What a perfect day for a little home cooked comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment